The Thirteenth (Seba Segel #1)
My Madness Level : Strong Madness
How much of a Madness : I just can’t stop, it’s engaging and captivating.
What brings the Madness :
- african inspired. Love everything about it. I can picture it vividly and it’s beautiful.
- it’s set in 2071 in addis ababa, where everything is thriving, futuristic and peaceful and it’s just beautiful.
- the magic, it’s pretty complex, time travel is not that simple, there’s so many rules like you can jump to the future, what you change in the past there’s always an effect and consequences, it needs magic, blood sacrifice and algorithm.
- the mystery, what really happen, the who, the why, got me keep turning the page, I suspect everything and everyone and always expecting something bad will happen.
- the characters, I adore and admire Narine, she’s a fighter and so smart, she handle everything so well and calm, she’s been through a lot, she has weak moment but she always comeback stronger.
- the timeline, the switch between past and present, it’s upped the ante.
- the friendship, the love, the family, all really heartwarming.
What Madness I don’t like :a bit slow at the beginning and lots repetitions, but I get it because this is the first book from a series, so the foundation of the magic and rules and the world gotta be explain over and over.
Level of this Madness Recommendation : yes especially if you love time travel urban fantasy
Where to buy this Madness :
My Madness Review : Goodreads
The Blurb :
"Time is the most fluid medium in the universe; humans are its most replaceable element." There are rules for traveling: A mage must never go forward. Keep the secrets of the order in all times. And never, ever travel during the thirteenth month. Born into a powerful mage family, Narine Anahid Khoren is a time traveler whose life is constantly in flux. Since committing to the order of the Seba Segal at fourteen, she’s spent her life traveling through history, trying to make a difference and sacrificing her life in the present for one jumping through the past. But while the world in 2071 has moved forward, the ancient order of the Seba Segel have become ever more archaic. The secret sect founded by astronomer priests has passed its magic to thousands of generations, perfecting the secrets of divination and time travel, while also amassing power, influence, and riches. Change is on the horizon, and some in the order would do anything to stop it from coming. When one of the highest laws of mage travel is broken in the thirteenth month, Narine, her friends, and one unsuspecting professor will have to scour history to set the timeline right.